Thursday, September 14, 2006

Flashback

When I was 15 or 16 years old my father quit drinking. To aid him in the process, he consumed substantial amounts of red kool-aid (sugar helps combat withdrawal symptoms). One day, while mixing up a fresh batch, I was looking at the back of the kool-aid package. There, right in front of my eyes, was an offer to good to resist. If I could collect 1200 Kool-aid points, I could send away for a free Super-Grover wrist watch. Given the amount of Kool-aid being consumed in our home, I figured I could collect the points in no time. Well I diligently cut out the UPC codes and stored them in an envelope until the very fine day my points totaled the correct amount. I sent in my order, and came home each day in great anticipation of my Super-Grover wrist watch.

3 months went by and I hadn't heard anything.

I called the 1.800 number on the back of the package, and, after much discussion, was told there were no more Super-Grover wrist watches to be had. I was sent a consolation gift of a red plastic smiling Kool-aid Pitcher and 4 glasses.

Yes, I know I was a teenager and too old to want a Super-Grover wrist watch. But I really did want it.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

That's a really sad story (wink).